Thursday, May 19, 2005

Burning Sands

The desert is getting hot these days. The highs have crossed 100 F (37 C), and the lows are running at about 80 F (26 C). This still isn’t summer, there is still some greenery in the desert, although it’s fast disappearing. The camels are still foraging. Soon the sand will be too hot to walk across by day.

Everything slows down in the summer here. Everyone who can gets out of Qatar, at least for a while. The ex-pats head home and the Qataris retreat to cooler climes. Business is slow in the summer. Virtually no one goes out in the midday. Most people take a nap during the hottest part of the afternoon, and stay up late at night to compensate.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it humid? I can stand hot, I lived in Phoenix Arizona, where it gets 120+ sometimes. But I cannot stand the humidity.

Abu Sinan

5/20/2005 4:45 PM  
Blogger dervish said...

The locals say it's humid here. I guess it might be compared to say Riyadh or some other inland city.

I don't think it's humid at all, in fact it's bone dry to me, but I am from the American south. The humidity right now, as we speak is 49%. You do get the ocassional foggy morning here.

I think the climate here is pretty similar to Phoenix.

5/20/2005 10:24 PM  
Blogger Leila M. said...

"Arabic standard time"


I think I was born with that late-night clock built in, regardless of genetics, har de har har

5/21/2005 12:12 AM  
Blogger sume said...

That sounds perfect for me,lol. I'm a natural born night owl or vampire. I don't mind humidity, it can't be worse than Florida or Lousiana as long as there's no mosquitos!

5/21/2005 4:19 PM  
Blogger dervish said...

It ain't nothing like Louisiana or Florida... this place is dryyyyy!

There are no mosquitos out where I am at.. but believe it or not they have them downtown. Too much standing water in the downtown area I guess. they aren't bad though... I've only seen the occasional one here and there.

5/21/2005 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please click on the archives for more! Blogroll Me!