Thursday, May 26, 2005

Barbie Chips

I was looking through some photos today and came across these. They are from last fall when we potty-trained my elder daughter. We got a good laugh out of them so I thought I would share.

My youngest was on the way, so it was a good time to discuss bodily functions with #2, and if she showed interest, to go ahead and potty train her. We bought her the pink pony potty pictured above. She loved it but wasn’t terribly interested in putting it to it’s appointed use at first.

Through graphic models and diagrams, we strived to convey the general idea to her as best we could. The play-doh baby below was the first attempt. Next we moved on to the “Barbie Method”, above. “Barbie”, as we all know, is a big girl, and doesn’t use diapers anymore. She goes on the big girl potty.

The key to the lesson was in surreptitiously placing a couple of chocolate chips into the potty after Barbie took her seat. My daughter was amazed! She became very excited and motivated to give it a try herself, and was potty trained in five days time.

The only drawback to this method is that she was slightly disappointed when what came out wasn’t exactly…. chocolate chips. Ahh well, she soon forgot as we slipped her a few for a job well done.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Assalaamu alaikum,

Do you have any of those Fulla (is that the name?) dolls that wear abayas? The first time I saw them was in Qatar, but I see them occasionally and I think they're so cool... I always want to buy one, but I have no excuse since I don't have any daughters.

5/26/2005 1:09 AM  
Blogger dervish said...

Fulla rocks! Yes, we have Fulla. Rather than describe her here, maybe I'll make my next post about her.

5/26/2005 1:21 AM  
Blogger Ann Tamimi said...

We have fulla dolls too. I prefer them to the bratz who are the ugliest things I've ever seen but are the rave among my girls. Me and my son walk around saying "they are sooo ugly".

There is a pryaing Fulla doll you can get yourself. Ok so no girls, so what, its still so nice to see.

5/26/2005 9:44 AM  
Blogger sume said...

I wish I'd thought of that when I was potty training my daughter. What a cute story.

Ewww bratz dolls. I hate those so much I wrote an article about them and consumerism. My daughter was big on those for the longest time. Barbies with bad plastic surgeons. Yuk.

5/26/2005 2:25 PM  
Blogger e-soz said...

lool cute story! I don't think i'll be able to eat chocolate chips anymore, though...

:P

5/30/2005 2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just learned of Fulla. But I can't seem to find them in the United States. Not even on Ebay! I think it is neat New Boy has come out with a Muslim-inspired doll. I am not Muslim, but would be very interested in obtaining some Fulla dolls (avid barbie collector, although I know they are not Barbie). Is there a web site or something I can visit?

9/23/2005 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please click on the archives for more! Blogroll Me!